Sunday, October 24, 2010

Lets make more mustard

 Left to Right:
Tomato garlic with beer, Lemon Dill with Vermouth, Maple Orange with Sherry


Keep in mind I really have no expertise with what I am doing, except having fun. That is the great thing about cooking, it is always a creative process and after wards, you have food! Each jar of finished mustard is thick. I will most likely be adding additional liquid as the aging process continues.

Tomato Garlic and Beer Mustard

1 12oz bottle light beer, like a India Pale Ale
12 T whole mustard seeds, I used equal amount of light and dark mustard seeds

Pour beer over mustard seed,cover and just let them party overnight. (save any beer left in the bottle)

The next day,

Place seeds and remaining beer into food processor, then add:

1/2 c dried oil packed tomatoes, drain well
2 T sugar
1/4 t dried garlic powder
1 t salt
2 T dry mustard powder

3 T water

Process until mostly smooth. Add the water, and continue to process until the desired consistency is achieved, keep in mind this is a course style mustard. There will be whole seeds long after the dried tomatoes have disappeared in the processing.


Return to jar and let "mingle" a day or two on the counter. Refrigerate for aging.

Oh look another quart of mustard!

I learned something interesting while making this batch, the white seeds require more liquid than the brown.

Lemon Dill and Vermouth Mustard
6T white mustard seeds
2/3 c vermouth
Pour vermouth over seeds, let them get to know each other overnight.

Place seeds and any remaining vermouth into processor, then add:

1 T dry mustard
2 T sugar
1/4 t salt
juice of 1/2 lemon, strained
1/4 c vermouth

1/4 c water


Process, this takes a while, the mixture is smaller in volume. Add 1/4 c water, continue to process.

When desired consistency is achieved, add:

1 T dry dill weed

Pulse 2 or 3 times to mix dill weed into mustard. 


Return to jar for aging. 



Maple Orange Sherry Mustard

2/3 c sherry wine
2/3 c water
12 T mixed mustard seeds

Pour water and sherry over mustard seeds, allow full political conversation throughout the night.

Place seeds and remaining wine/water mixture into processor, then add:

2 T dry mustard powder
3/4 t salt
1 T cider vinegar
1/2 t orange oil

Process until combined and the mixture begins to stall against the blades, then add:

1/3 c real maple syrup


Process until desired consistency is achieved. Return to jar for aging. 











Three jars of mustard, too "hot" to taste. These will sit out at room temperature for at least 24 hours to  temper the heat. Then they will be refrigerated for 14 days before any final adjustments will be made regarding flavor and consistency.

As always, thanks for stopping by. 

This post is being shared with:
Sunday's at one Food Club @ Cocina Diary

Dr Laura's Tasty Tuesday @ whoislaura




12 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

Very interesting. Very interesting indeed, and I am very intrigued. I look forward to the next progress report. (What do you think could be used for liquid if one chose not to use alcohol?)

Lisa said...

How wonderful that you can make your own mustard and change the flavor of it to suit your taste. I know I wouldn't mind having some of this to spread on my sandwiches.

Pam said...

I've bookmarked these, I love, love, love flavored mustards!

Patty said...

Wow, love the creativity! I have to try some of your recipes.

Inspired2cook said...

I've never made mustard from scratch. It would make a great hostess gift during the holidays!

Donata said...

Sounds really scrumptious...let us know how they turn out!

Tiffanee said...

WOW!! I have never heard of doing this. Amazing. I cannot wait to try it out. The only mustard I like are the flavored ones.

Nicola (Which Name?) said...

Thank you so much for this post! Apparently, store bought mustard can have gluten in it. I now know how to make my own!
Nicola

redmenace said...

Can't wait to hear how they turn out! Sounds wonderful. I am a big fan of mustard. xo

elra said...

You have an excellent idea !

Melynda said...

Hi Rocquie, you can use just about any liquid, just stay away from fresh (uncooked) items, as they will break down over time.

Lisa, thanks for visiting.

Pam, flavored mustard is a great to have on hand. Sometimes I have about 6 kinds in the fridge!

Patty, thanks for visiting. I had no idea it took so few seeds to make a regular sized batch of mustard. I seem to keep making quarts at a time!

Inspired2cook, yes it does make a great gift. And can be tailored to fit the giftee.

Donata, I think I have a lot more to learn, but this has been fun. Thanks for dropping by.

Tiffanee, I second that!

Nicola, I think you will enjoy this project!

Dr. Laura Aridgides said...

This is great! I've never made my own mustard and I just love the different flavor combos!

Thank you for sharing at Dr. Laura's Tasty Tuesday!

Dr. Laura

P.S. As an afterthought - these might make nice homemade holiday gifts!