Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gingerbread mix to keep on hand

I have a gingerbread in the oven, it is this one, and I can't wait to try it! Since I love gingerbread, and the author states this makes a good make ahead mix, I took advantage of that suggestion and made a backup package of gingerbread mix. This recipe makes a 9X13 pan, it can be shared or enjoyed a couple of different ways.


One way to enjoy gingerbread is with whipped cream, the American standard of gingerbread desserts. Another would be to serve the gingerbread with poached fruit and sweetened vanilla yogurt.

Right now however I am reading "Home Cooking, a writer in the kitchen" by Laurie Colwin, her favorite gingerbread dessert was gingerbread filled with raspberry preserves and frosted with chocolate butter cream. That seems like a lot of flavor, but I do believe I am up to the challenge.

Next time I make this gingerbread, I am going to use applesauce for some of the oil, along with some apple slices on the bottom for Apple Gingerbread upside down cake. That gingerbread dessert should be served with vanilla ice cream. I am looking to recreate a campfire dessert we use to make in scouts, which was a gingerbread mix and applesauce baked in a cast iron pan. Very simply, funny how those memories never go away.

My Mom's Gingerbread
from:  Voluntary Simplicity
350 degree oven

2 c flour
1 c sugar
2 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t salt

3 eggs
1 c oil
1 c molasses

1 c boiling water

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine.


Add remaining ingredients except boiling water, beat well for 3 minutes.


Mixture will be smooth. Beat in boiling water. Pour batter into a 9X13 inch pan.


Bake 35 - 40 minutes. Or until done in your oven. Remove from oven and let cool (at least a bit!) before serving. Serves 12 - 15


To make up as a mix

Combine dry ingredients, whisking to mix well. Store in a QT size plastic freezer bag or carton. Separably package the complete directions, store the two packages together with rubber bands.


Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

Lets start some wandering!

Warning, there is an interesting and off beat variety tonight!


Monkey bread, yes I know it is mostly sugar, but everyone needs a little treat every now and again. This is made from scratch monkey bread, not canned biscuit dough.
http://gourmeted.com/2010/09/15/monkey-bread/


Some might feel this is out of place, right after a sugar based recipe, make your own sprouted flour.
http://vimandvigor.typepad.com/vim-and-vigor/2010/09/down-to-the-nitty-gritty-how-to-make-sprouted-flour.html

Chinese Coca Cola Chicken, yes your read that right.
http://foodgoesinmouth.com/2010/09/chinese-coca-cola-chicken/

Here is a blog about foraging in the PNW. I will never forage for mushrooms, but for other foods, I'm in.
http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/

I want to go to Rosie Oats Sheep Farm and simply stay forever.
http://www.re-nest.com/re-nest/green-tours/rosie-oates-once-upon-a-time-sheep-farm-green-tour-126544?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+apartmenttherapy%2Fre-nest+%28Re-Nest%29

This winter when there is not a tomato worth eating in sight, I will try this salsa.
http://www.goodlifeeats.com/2010/09/restaurant-style-salsa.html

Until then, we will keep enjoying this salsa. I made another batch today, it is so good.
http://momssundaycafe.blogspot.com/2010/08/wedndesday-and-wandering-about-and-fire.html

choosing Voluntary Simplicity, this is great reading.
http://www.choosingvoluntarysimplicity.com/archives/

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello,
I appreciate your time and your visit.

4 comments:

City Share said...

I found that Laurie Colwin book on a book exchange shelf at work. I loved it. I loved her converstaional style and all of her observations. It was written almost 20 years ago, but still sounds so current!

I love the idea of a gingerbread-apple-upside down cake. That sounds fabulous.

Reeni said...

I'm so happy that gingerbread season is upon us! I love the idea of idea of raspberry preserves with it!

Tanvi said...

Wow..what a helpful post full of recipes...love the idea of ginger bread with berry preserve....I like spices in baked goodie!yum!

Mexico in my kitchen said...

I need to make that ginger bread. It looks delicious.
Love the idea of having the extra mix.

Thank you for visiting.

Blessings

Mely