Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sugar Cookies, simple, delicious and a favorite

 The kitchen is open!

I quit eating hydrogenated vegetable fats a long time ago. When I was looking for lard to use as another fat source, it too was hydrogenated. Why? That did not make sense to me, and of course I would not purchase or eat it. I started using coconut oil, a few months ago. I do recall that coconut oil had a bad reputation years ago, yet I have to tell you, it made the best popcorn! When my children were small I worked evenings at a drive in theater during the summer and into the fall. The popped corn holding bed on the commercial popper was such a wonderful smelling place! As it turns out, that reputation was unfounded, so why and how did it start?

I have struggled with the recipes that I use to make, when I used Crisco, they are no longer made in my kitchen. Today when I made up this sugar cookie recipe, I used coconut oil for the shortening listed in the recipe. This cookie is an experiment in more ways than one, in addition to the coconut oil, we are now using the Ultra whole grain flour blend from Costco as our everyday flour. Today's cookies were made using that blended whole grain flour.

I will tell you that these turned out (really !) very good! I thought so when I ate one, and then when Honey come home from work, he confirmed how good they are. He said, "well I can only rate these about a 10". You know he is goofy like that!

A simple sugar cookie
adapted from Dinners for a Year and Beyond!
350 degree oven

1/3 c butter
1/3 c coconut oil
3/4 c sugar

1 egg
1 t vanilla

1 3/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking powder

Beat butter, coconut oil and sugar until fluffy,

Add egg and vanilla, beating well. Add flour, salt and baking powder. Combine well.


Drop by 2 T measures or use a 2 T cookie scoop, placing dough onto prepared cookie sheet.


Bake 14-16 minutes, bottoms will be light golden brown.


Let cool on baking sheet 8 - 10 minutes, remove to towel or wire rack to finish cooling. Of course they are good warm also!
Makes 16 cookies.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks,
for taking a moment to stop and say hello.

This post is shared with Foodie Friday @ Designs by Gollum, and
Fresh Clean and Pure Friday @ la bella vita

Tasty Tuesday @ A Beautiful Mess

6 comments:

Pam said...

I'm glad to know that coconut oil can sub for crisco!

Hanna said...

HI there! I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hop! Lovely Blog:) You can find me at www.bouffeebambini.blogspot.com

redmenace said...

Someone else recently recommended using coconut oil as a healthy alternative to the other crappy stuff out there! I might have to try it too. Your cookies look great and I am also a HUGE popcorn addict. Yum!

Foodessa said...

Melynda...thanks for giving me a very easy way to start learning how to incorporate Coconut oil in my baking. I've had a brand new jar un-opened sitting in my pantry yelling to be used ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Annie Jones said...

I think that the lard sold in the stores is hydrogenated so that it will hold that nice block shape. If you can find lard rendered at a butcher shop or small meat processing company, it will probably not be hydrogenated.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who uses coconut oil. I use coconut, olive and peanut oils, real butter and some bacon fat. Never shortening, margarine or canola oil. I'll have to try the coconut oil in cookies; I usually use butter as the substitute.

(BTW, I would guess that coconut oil got a bad rep several years ago because producers of other kinds of oils wanted it to. )

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Sometimes the simplest things really are the best - and your cookies sound simply wonderful!!