Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Melba Toast Crackers

One of the easiest ways to be frugal in the kitchen is to present food differently. This helps in using what you have in creative ways, and thereby having new food, or at least food viewed as new. For instance I made a loaf of bread that was good. But no matter how good something is, it cannot be eaten everyday without getting tired of the taste.

There are many options available to eliminate waste. I could have cut the loaf in half and froze part for another time, or I could have given half to my neighbor as an act of generosity and friendship, or I could make crackers from the remaining bread and have a new type of food to enjoy and eliminate waste at the same time. Lets re-purpose bread into crackers.

Here is approximately 1/3 loaf of the bread, left after several breakfast. Although I have enjoyed this loaf, it is time to make something more from this and eliminate it from being pushed aside and left to waste.

Using an electric knife (quick breads are more crumbly, than yeast breads) which I prefer, cut slices approximately 1/4 inch thick.

Prepare a large baking sheet, I used coconut oil to film it lightly.

Take a small amount of coconut oil and "cream" it on a plate with a spoon. I have found that a spoon will spread the coconut oil on the bread slices easier than a knife will.

Cut the slices in half ( this is easier if you stack them up in 2 side by side stacks, and run the knife down the center), arrange on the tray and gently spread (or smear) a small dab, about 1/4 t of coconut oil on each piece. This is not specific, simply smear a bit of oil on each piece.

Place in a 250 degree oven and bake for 45-60 minutes until golden and crisping. Turn oven off and leave to dry, while oven cools. Keep the oven door closed. When cool, make sure there are no moisture pockets, you may need to preheat the oven, bake 5 minutes and then turn off and let finish drying.

Note: This will be based upon your oven and the density of the bread being made into crackers.

That's it, re-purposed bread into crackers. Made with the ingredients you want to eat, so you know that they will be good for you. Great as a snack, or with meals like soup or stew.Yum, crunchy and good!

As always, thanks for stopping by. This post is part of Tuesday Twister , Two for Tuesday  ,
Pennywise Platter , Food Renegade and Foodie Friday.

6 comments:

girlichef said...

What a great idea! We rarely have bread leftover around here (so many mouths!), but next time we do...I'm gonna try this. Thanks for sharing it w/ t4t this week =)

Sage Trifle said...

That is such a wonderful idea and sounds so delicious! I really love crackers, so I will definitely being trying this concept. I'm also grooving on the coconut oil.

Arnold said...

What a great idea. This will be marvelous with a nice bowl of soup. The children should love this as well. Thanks.

Christy said...

This is my favorite kitchen tip in a long time - even with my big family there is always some leftover and heck, I would make extra for these! Thanks for linking to Two for Tuesdays!

Butterpoweredbike said...

Reinvention is the name of the game, isn't it. Once you've got that down, you can save so much money. Thanks for sharing this great tip with Two for Tuesday.

Annie Jones said...

I usually make croutons, but I made melba toast instead yesterday. I just sprayed the slices with a little peanut oil (I have it in my refillable Mist-O) and sprinkled with just a touch of seasoned salt. They were so yummy and, IMO, easier to eat than the croutons, which sometimes get a little hard instead of crispy. I'll be doing this again!