Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Festive Jam Loaf


This is the freshest time of year! Not a kitchen I know of is not in the middle of something delicious and seasonal. One of my favorite summer time activities is jam making. I can never have enough, it is great to have on hand for eating and enjoying, as well as a gift to say "thank you" to a friend that offered a helping hand.

This easy loaf is tasty, as well as a great way to use up last years jam. You can also drop the mixture into muffin cups for a handy personal size treat to eat out of hand.

 I chose a jar of fig and orange jam, I added cinnamon to the flour mixture, and stirred in 1/2 c walnuts at the end.

Sweet Jam loaf
adapted from: Seasonal Ontario Food
350 degree oven
1 c jam
1/3 c oil
2 eggs

1 c flour
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour - I prefer spelt flour
3 t baking powder
3/4 t salt


3/4 c milk

optional ingredients:  chopped nuts, diced dried fruit, chopped apples, cinnamon, the only limits would be your own preferences. 

Stir together until mixed well jam, oil and eggs. In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt, whisk to combine. Add the jam mixture and 1/2 of the milk, mix well to combine. Add remaining milk, mixing until combined and no streaks of any one ingredient remains. Stir in an optional ingredient if desired.


Bake 40 - 50 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes then turn loaf out to cool completely.

Makes 1 loaf, 12 - 15 slices.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

Remember quick breads once cool and sliced, toast up just like yeast bread.

If you happen to have some left over you can make melba toast, which is delicious, here is the link for homemade Melba Toast Crackers, also made from this tasty loaf.

As always thanks so much for your visit today.
I appreciate your time and your comments.

Update:  This post is being shared with:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage

This post is a part of Simple Lives Thursday, Pennywise Platter Thursday, Whats on your plate ,
Make it from Scratch.  and Food Renegade.  
                                                           ###            

9 comments:

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

What a delicious looking loaf, and what a great way to use up leftovers! Thanks for sharing such a useful and delicious looking recipe.

Sage Trifle said...

That bread looks really good. I'm already imagining a slice of it toasted, with butter.

Pam said...

It looks really delicious.

Christy said...

Oh, my family would love this in muffin form! Yum!

SustainableEats.com said...

What a great way to use up jam too! Thanks for linking up to Simple Lives Thursday.

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

I can hardly wait to get in the kitchen to make this. I think today I'll use blackberry jam with walnuts. Thank you.

Amy said...

Sounds like a delicious and healthy loaf! Love the fact that the recipe is simple and easy with fresh ingredients. :) Thanks for sharing.

Amy
http://utry.it

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
Oh my...I think I could eat at your house everyday. Your Jam Loaf looks delicious, I think I can taste it. Thank you so much for bringing it to Full Plate Thursday and please come back!

Lisa said...

What a neat way to use jam and so great because you can customize the flavor by using different types of jam. It looks fantastic. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your loaf up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-6.html