Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Brownie Walnut Bread (yeast)


This bread has such a sophisticated flavor that I wanted to share it with everyone,
therefore this is a repost!

As written this is not a sweet bread, it is delicious and with the sugar listed in the recipe it is a wonderful sandwich bread. This bread would make an unbelievable good chicken sandwich.

IF you want a sweeter bread, increase the brown sugar to 1/2 cup. And it goes without saying, this would be wonderful rolled up with a spicy cinnamon swirl in the works!

I have noticed this bread in various places, and as it turns out in one of my own cookbooks! Honestly when I first noticed this bread, my first thought was meh. But one day I decided to try it, don't know why, so very glad I did. It turns out it is not only good, it is delicious and not at all like I thought it would be, it is so much better!

Yeasted Brownie Bread with Walnuts
adapted from: The All New Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook
by Tom Lacalamita

1/3 c warm water
2/3 c milk, warm slightly
5 T butter, cut into small chunks
1 t salt
1/3 c brown sugar (1/2 c for a sweeter dough)
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa
3 c flour
2 1/4 t yeast

2/3 c chopped toasted walnuts

Layer ingredients into bread machine pan in order given. Leave walnuts for later. Process on dough setting.




When dough is done mixing and going into the final rise, add walnuts to side of pan, where they will warm to the same temperature as the dough.

 (I could not get my machine to turn back on to knead the walnuts into the dough, when the cycle ended, and worked them in by hand)

Restart machine when cycle ends to work in nuts, or turn dough out and work in my hand. Shape into a loaf, place in prepared pan, let rise final time.


When dough has doubled in size, preheat oven to 350,


Bake 35-40 minutes or until done. Let rest 10 minutes in the pan, turn out to cool completely.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks so much for stopping by!

Don't forget to enter your favorite raisin recipe for the December Smackdown!

This re-post is being shared at:

Cookbook Sunday @ Brenda's Canadian Kitchen

5 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

What an unusual and delicious sounding bread. I don't have a bread machine, but once this heat has ended, I think I'll give it a whirl by hand. Also, thanks for the shout out--you're the best!

Melynda said...

Rocquie, thanks for stopping by!

Brenda said...

Don't you love when you look at a recipe, it looks "okay", maybe nothing special and then when you try it it's a WOW!? I love the idea of a repost too - I have a cookie recipe that I posted back when my blog was new that would be perfect for Christmas so I need to bring it back or link it up so a blog hop. Thanks for the idea and thank you for linking this yummy bread up to Cookbook Sundays!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Wow that bread sounds so unusual, but I bet it is really delicious. Definitely one to try.
Sue :-)

Laurie said...

this looks amazing and I will love to try this!