Sunday, May 16, 2010

Graham Cracker Crumb Cake

 
Deciding what to make this morning, did not come easy. I have been stricken with little appetite, a very rare occurrence for me! Usually I cook more than two people can eat, and then eat more than one person should! But I am sure my old appetite will return momentarily, it always does!

This morning, I have once again turned to my little black book, deciding on the Graham Cracker Crumb Cake. I think this originally was clipped out of a Sunset magazine, many years ago. I always keep graham crackers in the pantry. Granddaughter loves them and I have had a fondness for them for years, not in the usual "milk and graham crackers" way, but as little peanut butter sandwiches. I still take little graham cracker and peanut butter "sandwiches" as my lunch. Oh and lets not forget buttered. Crisp, lightly sweet cracker with creamy, mild salty butter, yum. Cake anyone? Lets get started.....

 The easiest way to make the crumbs, is to use the grater disk on your processor.

Graham Cracker Crumb Cake
adapted from Sunset Magazine (I believe)
350 degree oven

1/2 plus 1 T flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs
1/2 t cinnamon
1/2 c butter
2/3 c brown sugar
2/3 c sugar
3 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 c buttermilk



Combine all dry ingredients, stirring well and set aside. Cream butter, add sugars, beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla, 1/2 dry ingredients and 1/3 of the butter milk. Mix well. Repeat with remaining dry ingredients and 1/3 of the buttermilk, mixing well. Mix in remaining buttermilk bringing any drier ingredients up from bottom of the bowl.



Pour into a prepared 9 inch square pan.
Bake 35-40 minutes.
Serves 8-10

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks so much for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I appreciate it. Have a fun day.

M

1 comment:

Sage Trifle said...

Wow, what an interesting recipe. Old fashioned, like I like. But I can't even imagine what this one tastes like. . .so, I'll have to try it.