Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cheeseburger Scalloped Potatoes, some days, dinner like this, will do

Some days/weeks are better than others. And along that same thought, some days/weeks are busier than others. I had one of those weeks! How about you?

Warning: the following words are a feeble attempt to convince the family that this is a "good" dinner!

That seems to be the constant theme; across the blogsphere, myself included. I am (hopefully) on the brink of many changes, change I have worked for and hope will culminate in a final outcome that is, recognizable to my "blueprint" of the original thought. I know I am not alone in the change lane, for one thing is absolutely true. Change is going to happen, regardless of our own personal opinion. We change or are left behind in the change.


Now you might ask, what on earth does that have to do with dinner? Well as the title suggests, some days a dinner like this will do. The focus is on feeding the family a good meal; and sometimes that needs to be a simple affair, so that other tasks can be completed as well. Often I have landed on a blog or article that talks about simple meals, and that author is brave enough to put it out there. By that I mean they tell you what they are eating, and give you the nitty gritty details. Sometimes it is not pretty, but when you look at the sum of the parts, why would it not taste good when put together? Today I took a step toward brave!


Cheeseburger scalloped potatoes
a slow cooker meal - I used a 6QT

1 pound ground beef, browned and drained of excess fat
6 potatoes, scrubbed and sliced thin (peel if that is your preference)
3 T flour
2 T dried onion
rounded 1/2 t thyme leaves, crushed
garlic salt
pepper
1 1/2 c beef stock
1/2 c milk
2 c grated cheddar cheese - divided

Slice 3 of the potatoes and place in the bottom of a slow cooker, sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper and half of  the flour. Add the ground beef, sprinkle with the thyme and dried onions. Slice the remaining 3 potatoes and layer over the beef. Sprinkle with the remaining  flour, more garlic salt and pepper. Bring stock to a boil, add milk and pour over the mixture. Sprinkle with half (1 c) of the cheddar cheese, cover and cook on high, 4 hours. 

Remove cover, pierce top potato layer. If tender, cover with the remaining cheese, recover and let rest 30 minutes before serving. If potatoes are not tender cook addition 30 minutes then sprinkle with cheese, cover and let rest. Serves 4 - 6


Serve with something green and something fruit and dinner is done! Simple and tasty, yes a brave dinner!

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I do appreciate your time.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

This post is linked to Make it from scratch.

This post is shared with:

Sad Saturday @ An Oregon Cottage

2 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

This sounds yummy to me! I think anything with potatoes is good!

Jami said...

Oh, I most definitely have days/weeks like that! But I don't think there's anything "wrong" with your dinner- just call it "comfort food" and all is good. :-)

Thanks for linking to Sad Saturday!