Saturday, May 29, 2010

Prunes Pouched in Red wine, or "I like prunes, how about you?"

Sometimes I think we need to concentrate on the funny foods. Like prunes. Prunes are the laughing stock of food, and such a pity. I read a recipe years ago that tried to address that issue and then went on to give the the recipe a more glamorous name. Dried Plum whatever, instead of Prune whatever. I remember the content was aimed at younger cooks and the goal was to get the cook, cooking with prunes, I mean dried plums. The nutritionist wrote about the great food value in dried plums; the minerals, the fiber, the great taste, and the convenience.
But.....can't we just say prunes?
And mean prunes?
And know that they are delicious, available in your pantry at all times (unless you forgot them at the store, which would be such a pity) and make for great foods, both sweet and savory?

We can?! Oh, OK, great.

Today I am making Prunes Poached in Red Wine, for Sunday Cafe. The recipe states to simmer and serve, but I wanted to make this a day ahead and let the cinnamon sticks add more flavor. I only made one change I used 3 cinnamon sticks, instead of only 2. I used Merlot as the dry red wine, it is what I had open.



Prunes in Red Wine
adapted from Kitchenography

1 pound pitted prunes (about 40)
1 1/4 c sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
2 1/2 c dry red wine



2 8oz containers Mascarpone cheese 

Combine in a large covered pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer 45 minutes. Transfer to a dish, cover and chill until serving time.



To serve place a large spoonful of the cheese on a rimmed plate or shallow dish, add prunes and drizzle syrup over.

Serves 8

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I appreciate it.

M

1 comment:

Foodessa said...

I make dried figs in a somewhat similar way. As a matter of fact...I'll hopefully be posting it soon.
Now...about prunes: When I was very young my dad used to force me to eat boiled prunes because they were good for me...I hated them!
As a young adult...I kind of avoided them due to being so traumatized by the memory.
I'm a little older now and not so intimidated by them. As a matter of fact I actually use dried puréed prunes as a partial substitute to butter when making baked goods.
I'm taking down your recipe...sounds like an adaptation I may now be able to enjoy ;o)
Flavourful wishes, Claudia