Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Simple Stir-fry formula

I have never been a Wok wiz, I have purchased a variety of them through the years and used them all. And still I am not the wiz that I would like to be. But then I realized I don't live at PF Chang, and I don't need flashy and wizardly wok skills, I just need to get dinner on the table.

So I do my own version called, Sizzle and serve. There is a bit of time with the cover on (gasp) and you can get a couple of other things completed, like set the table. I visit The Perfect Pantry on a regular basis and found this basic sauce that Lydia refers to as a "trinity". From there I simply added a couple of ideas and here is a process that is open to what ever you have in the fridge and have decided will be dinner.


Just Sizzle and Serve!

1 pound meat cut into bite size pieces ( I used pork)

1 small onion cut into large squares or spring onions cut into 1 inch pieces

Other veggies, this could be broccoli, a zucchini some sliced cabbage, carrots - it is what you have and needs using up ( I used a sweet red pepper and about 2 c bean sprouts)

for the "trinity"
3 T soy sauce
2 T oyster sauce
1 T sesame oil

flavoring agents as needed/wanted
minced garlic
grated fresh ginger

1-2 T sugar ( I used 1 T for the pork, would probably use 2 with chicken)
1/4 c sake or sherry

1/2 c water
2 t cornstarch

Saut'e meat in a large flat bottom pan in a single layer on high until golden on one side. Toss in the pan with 2 wooden spoons, return to a single layer, individually turning those pieces that did not turn.


When meat has been browned evenly, pour on the trinity and add any flavor agents desired.


Cover and cook for about a minute, next add the sugar, wine and veggies, stir and cover for another minute.

Combine water and cornstarch, stir into pan. Cook and stir until thicken and clear. Remove from heat, cover and set the table. Call the family and serve over rice or noodles your choice.

This is easy, quick and adaptive to what you have on hand. If you serve a particular combination your family loves, it becomes your own recipe!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

I know we will have this again, it fits right in with my idea of easy, adaptable and good.

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I appreciate it so!

This post is being shard with:


Tuesday Night Supper Club@fudge ripple

3 comments:

noble pig said...

I love this and my family would love it!

Pam said...

I am not a wok wiz either. I think this dish sounds delicious.

Christy said...

i love to use the wok, but i have to dig it out of the back of the cabinet..so i rarely ever do. this recipe looks so simple..and i love the idea of a trinity sauce that you can add flavors to. thanks for linking this up to tuesday night supper club!