Sunday, March 14, 2010

Overnight Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes

When I put these ingredients to set last night for their overnight mingle, I did not realize this morning was day light savings time, and we would effectively "lose" one hour of a perfectly good day off from work! It is only a coincidence and while these delicious pancakes will not get you your time back, but they will make breakfast easy, even on the days we are not fiddling around with all the clocks in the house!

These are not dainty pancakes, they are hearty, full of oats and tangy with buttermilk.  I am a buttermilk fan; I ate two for my breakfast plain, and a third one with a drizzle of real maple syrup. This recipe uses information learned from the e-course I am taking, based on the Nourishing Traditions information book/cookbook. Although as I have stated time and time again, "everything old becomes new again" and that is very true regarding the information from the book and the course.These ways are not new, simply new again with another generation.

I am having a good time with the e-course, and the fun part comes with taking the new information and making food your family not only needs (healthy) but wants (tasty) to eat. I have a bit of additional information at the bottom of this post of what I will do next time to make this for the family or just myself.


Overnight Buttermilk Oatmeal Pancakes
adapted from just making noise

The night before:
2 c old fashion rolled oats
1/2 c whole wheat flour
3 c buttermilk

Stir together in a large bowl, making sure all ingredients are mixed and each piece is wet with buttermilk. Cover with a towel and let mingle overnight.

The next morning:
3 eggs, beaten well in a separate bowl 
1/4 t salt
1 T cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 T oil or melted coconut oil or butter
2 T honey
1 t vanilla
1 c raisins - chopped very fine - optional


Prepare raisins as needed, set aside. Warm the honey gently add the coconut oil if using and stir to melt and combine. Beat honey mixture into the eggs along with the vanilla.


Combine all ingredients with the buttermilk mixture.




Bake in 1/4 c measures on a prepared griddle or frying pan, using additional butter or coconut oil to keep from sticking. Serve with maple syrup.






Makes approximately 18 cakes. Serve with butter, real maple syrup or homemade jam.

How I might change this recipe to better suit the taste desires of my family.  

I would buzz the oats in the food processor to make a softer grain, about the same size/texture of cornmeal. 
I would use 1 c buttermilk and 2 c regular milk. 
I would increase the honey to 1/4 cup.

Recipe rating:  Hmmmm. (thought this would be better)

As always thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I appreciate your time!

M


2 comments:

noble pig said...

I would change the raisins to chocolate chips! I'm not a raisin fan but with chips, I'm in.

Pam said...

I've never heard of overnight pancakes - what a great idea. They look delicious.