Sunday, March 7, 2010

Baked Kale Chips


I have purchased kale many times with the thought of making this recipe. I have then gone on to use the kale in other ways and never get around to making these. Truth be told, it is not a recipe so much as a process. I scaled back on the amount made for two reasons, I am fairly certain Honey will not eat these after the first bite and the one bunch insures that these are eaten up without waste. I should get in the habit of purchasing a bunch of kale at the market each week, I have started to cook with it frequently.

I decided to make them with only salt as the flavoring this first time out. I did notice that Alana over at A Veggie Venture suggested a little vinegar or mustard as well. Maybe that will be a future batch. I think I will like these, I have been looking for a crunchy salty snack, that was not deep fried or loaded with unhealthy fats.  I am also playing around with the convection feature on the new range, and have not had much experience with this as yet!

Baked Kale Chips

1 bunch kale
1 T + olive oil
salt

Wash kale under running water, or my favorite in a sink of warm water. Using your hands "open" the ruffles and make sure the area in there is not harboring dirt. Lift out and drain well.


Remove middle stem from kale leaves. I found it easiest to use my hands for this, a small paring knife got lost in the ruffles.

 


Break kale into 3X3 inch pieces. Spin dry in a salad spinner or roll into a kitchen towel squeezing gently and let rest 5 minutes for the excess water to be absorbed.

Place kale in a large bowl, add oil. Using your hands lift, turn and massage kale leaves to coat with the oil.



Spread onto a large rimmed baking sheet, and sprinkle generously with the salt. Keep in mind, that a lot of the salt will stay on the bottom of the baking pan. Next time for one bunch of kale, I will use a 9X13 inch pan, the goal is the dry the kale rather than brown it.


Bake 350 for 5 minutes, stir the outside pieces to the middle of the pan and the middle pieces to the outside of the pan. Bake 5 - 8 minutes more.



The volumn of kale is greatly reduced after baking. If you are serving these as a prelude to dinner, you would want to make up a pound of kale, which is about 3 bunches.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always thanks so much for taking a moment out of your day to stop for a visit.

M

1 comment:

Sage Trifle said...

I keep seeing these come up on blogs and on cooking shows. I do love Kale, so I need to go ahead and try these. Yours sure look good!