Sunday, February 21, 2010

Soaked and Dried Oats, honestly I don't know if this is needed.....

Update: here is the finished Soaked and Ready Oats

I found it very helpful to watch this video, and had no misunderstanding of the process. Thanks Marilyn.

I am not one to follow fads (per say), however becoming one to want more nutrition from my food.

Enter Nourishing Traditions.

Currently I have a copy on loan from the library. My first thought when I asked Honey to pick it up for me, during his routine visit, was skepticism. Then when he came home empty handed and stated that we would be on the list for mail out, when one of 6 copies has been returned AND we are on the top of the list, I put all thoughts aside and waited. I had actually forgotten about it, when it arrived in the mail and was waiting for me one evening after work.

There is a lot of information in that book! It can be overwhelming, to say the least. But some of the simplier basics are being tried in my kitchen like, soaking grains before cooking (brown rice and barley so far) and now soaked (and then) dried oats. Referred to as Soaked and Ready Oats. There have always been a fair number of recipes for "soaked" foods. Speaking for myself, I had no reason why soaking was part of the recipe, now I do. Currently you can find pancakes on this very popular blog, and here (where it probably all started, she is great)  and here.

With the Soaked and Ready Oats, you are ready to cook. You are ready to make cookies or throw a pan of granola into the oven, or mix together a meat loaf. I have decided to purchase the book, this is a lifestyle change for better health. As you become comfortable with the success of one of the basics, you keep adding more.

Lets get started.....

Soaked and Ready Oats

4 c fresh water
4 c rolled old fashioned oats
6 T whey*, Lemon juice or cider vinegar
oil
wax paper
food dryer OR baking sheets

Stir water and whey together, stir in oats. Cover and let sit 24 hours.


Drain thoroughly, this will take about 15 minutes. I placed oats in a strainer and let drain 10 minutes, then gently turned in the strainer to release any trapped water and let drain 5 minutes more.

 I think I need a larger wire mesh strainer.

I decided to use 4 trays for the drying process, I wanted to have the oats as spread out as thinly as possible. Tear off 4 sheets of waxed paper, pour about 1 t oil in center and spread around with the palm of your hand. Place on drying tray and continue to prepare the remaining pieces.


Place 1/4 of the soaked oats on the tray, evenly around to weigh down the wax paper. Using a knife, cut an X in the center where the air will need to move. Gently bring back the paper and fold down around the opening. Spread out oats evenly, tug gently at the corners of the wax paper to smooth out so it will lay flat on the rack.




Stack trays, and let dry.

Depending on your model, this will take anywhere from 8 to 24 hours. The first time, will definitely be an experiment, and you can make notes regarding your particular dehydrator that will assist you in the future.


My plan was to rotate the racks before bedtime this evening to facilitate even drying of the oats. However when I checked my oats at about the 4 hour mark, they were almost dry. I rotated the trays at that time. I think this model food dehydrator will only take 6 hours. I will post a photo of the finished product.

Update:  here is a close up of the finished oats. Looks just like oatmeal, there are a few large pieces that may need a little help in the food processor. 

Recipe rating:  Hmmm. (thought this would be better)

* I strain my yogurt for about 15 minutes. I capture the whey and get a "Greek" style yogurt to enjoy for my daily breakfast.

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I do appreciate your time. Drop me a note, I love getting mail!

M

4 comments:

noble pig said...

Wow, very cool. I'd love to read that book, will have to look for it.

nicola@which name? said...

i have been reading about soaking oats before using. i have never done that with oats and need to read more about why. i sometimes do it with rice (suppose i always should?) and always do with beans.

thanks for sharing a book that i don't know!

nicola
http://whichname.blogspot.com

Melynda said...

Previously I did not know why, but growing up and even now, have had some digestion difficulties with certain foods. The very foods I want to eat, beans, brown rice etc. Brown rice cooked after soaking is very delicious!

Marillyn Beard said...

Hey! Great job on the Soaked & Ready Oats! Can you please link the post back to my Soaked & Ready video post? Thanks!!