Monday, February 22, 2010

Monday night brights

I have yet to start making my own soap, mostly because I have already purchased soap to use up. But I have begun to cut the liquid dish soap with equal amounts of water. I blended 2 cups of liquid and 2 cups of water to try it out this first time. I will keep you posted to how effect this "new" cleaner works.

We are down to this small core of plastic garbage liners. I thought we would go plastic free 03.01.2010. Having a couple left over is OK, and we might need them for storage of blankets etc in the garage.

It is not the best picture, but I now have an organized canning pantry in the back bedroom closet. 

Believe it or not, this is the beginnings of a cake! I had wanted to make something with a portion of the Soaked and Ready Oats. It is actually a saucepan cake, but I used this glass measure for photo reasons.

Saucepan Oatmeal Cake (snack cake)

Saucepan oatmeal snack cake

1 1/2 water, bring to a boil in a saucepan (one large enough to mix in)
1 1/2 c oats (I used the Soaked and Ready Oats)
1 cube butter
Remove saucepan and the boiling water from the heat source, stir in the oats and butter. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.

Heat oven to 350 degrees

2 eggs
2 c sugar
1 t vanilla
Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla into the oat mixture.

1 1/2 c flour
1 t salt
1 1/2 t baking soda
Combine dry ingredients, whisk to mix well.

Beat into the oat mixture. Mixture will not be smooth. Pour into a 9X13 pan. Bake 
30-35 minutes. 

You may dress up the snack cake by adding over the top, chopped dates, chocolate chips, coconut. The choice is yours. Let cool before cutting. Frosting is not necessary, but peanut butter frosting is very tasty.

Enjoy!

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello, I appreciate it! 

M

2 comments:

Pam said...

Plastic free - good for you! The cake looks and sounds tasty.

Mary, CookEatShare Author Support said...

I’d like to personally invite you to join the CookEatShare Author network. CookEatShare has had over 2.5 million unique visitors in 2009, and I think they will be interested in your content. Users will be guided to your actual blog, so this is a free way to increase page views and visitors to your site.

Please contact me at mary@cookeatshare.com for more information, to get unique link to claim and customize your profile. Please visit http://cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply for additional information.