Thursday, December 24, 2009

Toffee and being a big fat candy baby

I have always been too frightened to make candy. The thermometer, the boiling hot, the splashing of the boiling hot, etc etc. A big fat scared candy baby! But I come from a long line of pioneer women, really I do. My grandmother on my father's side migrated to California in the back of a covered wagon in about 1907. My grandmother on my mother's side, was born at home by a visiting midwife, in a kitchen warmed by a wood stove, that was used for cooking. A bit different from midwife assisted births of today.

In looking back there was not much these women were too frightened to do, including making candy. Which during the war, one of them did. It was how they survived financially. The sugar ration was turned into candy for profit, profit that put other food on the table.

But me, no way. I bought my candy, thank you very much. Until today. I found this post, and thought, what a perfect starting place. Lets make Toffee, shall we.

Toffee
adapted from which name?

1/2 c butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c large broken walnuts (between 1/4 - 1/2 inch in size)
1/2 c chocolate chips

Butter (or spray with Pam) the bottom and sides of a 8" pan, scatter walnuts over the bottom. Melt butter in large pan over medium heat, add brown sugar. Over medium heat continue to stir while mixture boils for 6-7 minutes.

I found with my stove I had to turn down the setting slightly as the mixture cooked, so it would not get too hot and burn. This is hot, be careful for the spurting, that is why I chose a large flat bottomed pan.

Pour cooked toffee evenly over the walnuts, rotate pan gently for candy to go to the corners. Sprinkle with the chips, let sit one minute, spread chocolate to cover entire surface.


I think the hardest part of this recipe is waiting for it to cool! When cool, break into pieces.





For this recipe I wanted to make this for a gift, I used a spring form pan for easy removal. A quick wrap in plastic wrap and a bow, and I will be done.










As the hours count down, I hope all is happy and good for you and your loved ones! 

As always, thanks for taking a minute to stop and say hello. We appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

Recipe rating:  Oh yes! Will make again.

This post is being shared with:
Recipe Swap Thursday @ Prairie Story

4 comments:

Jess said...

Look nummy Mom. Can't wait to try it. :-)

ya ya's mom said...

ok, i want some of this!!!

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Great post, and a really delicious looking recipe!

Lisa said...

I enjoy making homemade toffee too. It looks like yours came out great. Just to let you know, I'll be having a CSN giveaway on my blog next week Monday, so be sure to check back then for a chance to enter.