Saturday, November 28, 2009

Banana Bread, with pan roasted banans


This could also be called Pan Roasted Bananas-Banana Bread.

When I asked Honey what he thought about the last banana bread I had baked, he actually told me. What he said was, "I like banana bread with lots of flavor, you know lots of bananas. And I also like walnuts in there, lots of walnuts." But what he did not say was, I don't like whole wheat flour in banana bread. Actually Honey does not like whole wheat anything! He is a soft white bread, kind of guy. So when I sat out to bake a loaf of bread that matched what he described, I varied from my preferred ingredients and made it truly Honey's style, with no whole wheat flour.


Banana Bread, with pan roasted bananas
by the seat of my pants
350 degree oven

6 large very ripe bananas
1/4 c butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c oil
1/4 c milk
2 eggs
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c walnuts, chopped small (I think that helps keep the slices intact)


Combine 4 bananas and the butter in a skillet. Saute over medium heat until golden. Turn as needed. When soft cut into smaller chunks, continue turning to brown all surfaces. When all sides are golden brown, remove skillet from heat source and allow to cool.






Combine the remaining 2 bananas in a large bowl along with the sugars. Use a fork to mash the bananas and sugars together. Add eggs, milk and oil. Stir to combine all ingredients making sure the eggs are well incorporated into the mixture.



Combine the flour, salt and soda in a medium bowl. Whisk to distribute soda and salt throughout the flour.

Gently mash the cooked bananas with a fork Stir the cooked bananas (along with the browned butter) into the banana milk mixture. Stir well. Add the flour mixture to the bananas. Stir well to combine. Stir in the chopped walnuts.



Pour into a prepared loaf pan.  Bake 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes until tests done, in your oven. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes, turn out onto a rack or towel and allow to cool completely. This bread is delicious, a good keeper and by golly it is his favorite.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

As always, thanks for taking a moment to stop and say hello.

This post is proudly shared with:
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage

This post is a part of One Food Club @ Cocina diary,
and Potluck Sunday @ Mommy's kitchen. 


3 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Melynda,
Your Banana Bread, Honey's style is melting in my mouth here at Full Plate Thursday. I think it is the best I have ever had. Thank you so much for coming today and please come back!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

I can only imagine how DELICIOUS roasted bananas are in that bread! That looks simply delicious!!! I host a new food linky called, Fun w/ Food Friday. I would LOVE for you to come by and link up some of your DELICIOUS recipes if you have time.

http://www.paisleypassions.blogspot.com

Miz Helen said...

Congratulations! Your Banana Bread is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week 1-20-2011.
Thank you for coming!
Miz Helen