Monday, July 27, 2009

Monday night brights

I could also call tonight, Monday Night dim (witted), because guess who forgot to take photos of the finished dishes? Yes as a matter of fact, it was me.

Here is the pie before placing the top crust on. I could also call this "My backyard pie". The strawberries were few and far between, but this was good.

I will make this again. A good mix of berries and rhubarb would be 2 c thinly sliced rhubarb, 2 c strawberries cut in half, 1 c blueberries and 1 c raspberries.

Try this tip, I use a small stainless steel funnel as a safety valve. The juice will bubble up into the funnel (if need be) and it prevents the crusts from coming apart because of built up pressure.

See very little leakage. I love the way all the pie juices stay in the pie, and not wind up on the oven floor.

I always put the crust scraps and trimmings to good use. I gather them up and roll out,the dough is then cut into pieces (about 2X2). Laid on on a baking tray, then moistened with water on your fingertips and then sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Bake at 375 10-12 minutes. Yum. There are always the first to disappear as folks arrive for dinner.


Searing on the outdoor grill and then cooking slowly on the stove or using an electric skillet is yummy. It also keeps the house cooler since the oven is not on. For years I have browned meat in an electric skillet and then turned the temperature down to the lowest setting, to cook covered until tender for a really nice juicy roast. The outdoor searing simply adds a bit more flavor. The gravy was good, really good.


I am very fond of the ribbon message boards, I put little Hawaiian shirt post it notes on this one to make a "Happy Birthday" banner. It was fun to combine a birthday celebration with Sunday Cafe. We do not get to see the Yakima family often.

This would be a good example of how hot it was in Vancouver today. This poor candle could not take the heat, and even though it is in the shade for a good part of the day, it became so soft it melted over!

As always thanks for taking the time to stop by,

M

2 comments:

noble pig said...

I found melted candles yesterday too! It was so hot!

redmenace said...

The funnel is a great idea! These desserts look fabulous!