Saturday, July 18, 2009

I really love my "stuff"


I am truly an American, I love my stuff.

What exactly is "stuff"?

Stuff is all the things a person has purchased through out the years for the craft/hobby/collection that they enjoy.

For me stuff really means kitchen. I love my kitchen stuff! In my daydreams, I have a kitchen as big as a whole house. It is filled with cupboards and shelves and nooks and crannies where I can store my stuff, keep my stuff and show off my stuff. And of course an extra shelf for more stuff!

For my Honey, it is model railroad "stuff".

For my daughter, her "stuff" is movies.

For my son, "stuff" is his vast collection of comic books and graphic novels.

For my DIL, she is into stamping and crafting "stuff".

For my SIL, his "stuff" is camping and being a boy scout leader.

For the granddaughter, the whole world is her "stuff".

My guess is that each family is a family of "stuff" keepers, "stuff" buyers and "stuff" organizers.

Which is where I am today, I am trying to organize my kitchen. I know (really I do) that the square footage will not magically change, and logic must be understood that the cubic mass of anything solid will not change. But with that said, today I am working very hard on trying to fit more "stuff" into the kitchen. Because I want/need it there, in the kitchen. Not down the hall in the linen closet that is now a food pantry.

And to make it even more difficult, I want it to look nice as well as be functional. Part of the kitchen is an open shelf hutch. I especially want that full of "stuff" and attractive. I was going to say pretty but that is not usually a descriptive word associated with a kitchen. However I am from a generation of women, that routinely used the word pretty to describe something. So yes I want it well organized, handy with everything I want and pretty.

Honey gets a little frustrated with me, so when I make changes I have to give him a tour of the new layout. But other than that, organizing is kind of like a hobby for me. Probably because I have so much stuff!

As always thanks for stopping by,

M

2 comments:

noble pig said...

Oh don't even mention it...I have more stuff than I ever thought was possible. Today my kids said, "Mom, I bet you even have a rubber chicken." Do you know I was able to go to the closet and pull out a rubber chicken, brand new...still in a bag. My babysitter's eyes popped out of her head.

I need therapy.

Melynda said...

I love it!

When my daughter was young, she thought I had too much stuff; but now married and all grown up - She has her own!