Saturday, June 20, 2009

Maple Cornbread Muffins

"recipes from Vermont's renowned vegetarian restaurant", author Ginny Callan.

I am not a vegetarian, haven't even considered it. But I am a child of the 60's having growing up in Marin County California, and as such I am attracted to ideas or ideals of a different nature. Having been exposed to the colorful world around me at a very impressionable age, I came away with what I consider to be the best of it all. Vegetarian cookbooks seem to fall in that category, for me; a carnivore.

Also they usually have great whole grain baked goods and main dish recipes that are full of vegetables. Both of these items, using more whole grain and eating more vegetables, are sadly on my side bar and have been there for a long time, unable to be deleted; because I have not accomplished either as I cook.

This was another book I was able to pickup for a song, at the local thrift store. The recipe that caught my eye right away was the, Maple Cornbread Muffins. We had these for breakfast this morning, along with bacon and eggs. The maple flavor is very faint, but it is a good recipe for a mostly whole grain baked good sweetened with a natural sweetener.

Maple Cornbread muffins
400 degree oven

1 c whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 c all purpose flour
2/3 c cornmeal
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt2 eggs
1/3 c real maple syrup
3/4 c milk ( I almost forgot this ingredient, you can tell; it is not in the photo!)
1/2 c butter - melted and cooled*

Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat eggs, syrup and milk together, beat in butter. Combine wet and dry ingredients. Spoon evenly into 12 prepared muffin tins.
Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Makes 12.

These are good, they are especially good with raspberry jam! They would also be great along side a bowl of soup, chili or a salad.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

As always, thanks for taking a minute to stop and say hello. We appreciate your time and your wonderful comments!

this post shared with:
weekend cooking @ beth fish reads



*I will substitute coconut oil for the butter, that sounds really good.

8 comments:

redmenace said...

I made cornbread over the weekend, but it was uninspired. This, however, sounds perfect. Thanks!

Donnie said...

They look pretty good and I bet the grands would like them.

Beth F said...

I love cornbread with maple! I wonder if I've made this recipe (I own that cookbook) at some point. Great job on finding a copy of that cookbook.

Cecelia said...

I have a couple of vegetarian cookbooks that my mother has passed down to me (she cooks mainly old standards now...), but I don't think that is one of them. I'll be on the lookout for it the next time I go to a used book sale!

Joy said...

I love maple syrup in the fall. I never thought of putting it in cornbread though. That does sound like the perfect accompaniment to another fall favorite -- chili!

Joy's Book Blog

Laurie C said...

I have the Horn of the Moon cookbook, too, and the one that came after (Beyond the Moon). I never made a lot of her baked goods recipes because of the whole wheat pastry flour that was hard to find and also she mostly used honey instead of sugar, which my family didn't like. This one sounds good to try sometime, though!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

Isn't it great when you find something wonderful at the thrift store?

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Melynda, I was reading through your post, thinking these cornbread muffins sounded pretty good. When I got to the bit where you said they were great with raspberry jam, I almost rushed straight to the kitchen and made a batch. The only thing that stopped me is that it's 10.30pm here right now, and a sudden urge to bake muffins at this hour might be viewed by others in the house as another example of "menopausal madness"!!