Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day and working on a Sunday

Update: The photos show a beautiful dish, but the taste left me wanting something more. Maybe I am not a fan of Ricotta cheese, or maybe I missed the meat. But I wanted this to be better.

Today I work my weekend shift. I have been choosing the 3rd Sunday for my weekend duty so I can always have the last Sunday of the month for Sunday Cafe. I have been working this way now for 9 months and I finally realized that I should change the weekend when I work to the 2nd Sunday. That way I could arrange my free time better. This would be a cinch to do, I print the calendar that is circulated; to sign up for weekend and manager of the day duties. So I did.

Today is a BBQ at our son's home for Father's day. I am taking a side dish. There will be a lot of folks there, and a good time to share something new. I was intrigued by the Ricotta Fettuccine in the Horn of the moon cookbook. After cooking your pasta, you toss it in a warmed ricotta mixture. A separate dish of Marina sauce is offered along with grated cheese and each person dresses up their pasta as they would like.

Marina is a quick sauce, unlike many that take all day to simmer. However since I work, I will cook it up quickly in the pressure cooker. The recipes suggests a flavored pasta, and I will stop at Trader Joe's after work and get some basil fettuccine. I had noticed there was no salt, as I read the recipe; my additions are in blue.


Ricotta Fettuccine

5 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 c minced onion
1 t basil
1 t oregano
1 T olive oil
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
dash pepper
1/2 t salt
1 t sugar

1 pound ricotta cheese
1 pound fettuccine
freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a 2 qt sauce pan saute the garlic, onion and herbs in the olive oil. Saute gently until softened and golden. Add the tomato paste, tomatoes (break up the tomatoes) and pepper. Simmer a minimum of 2 hours stirring occasionally.

When the sauce has finished.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 2 T salt, cook pasta per package directions. While pasta is cooking, gently warm the ricotta cheese. Drain the pasta well, return to the large pot, add warmed ricotta and toss gently to coat each strand. Serve right away on plates. Pass bowls of Marinara and fresh Parmesan cheese. Each person can fix their pasta as they like.

4 servings is the note at the bottom of the recipe, but this will easily serve 6 as a main dish and 8-10 as a side dish.Happy Father's day to all. You can never have too many helpers, thanks ladies! Everyone had a nice time, it is always an enjoyable time when 3 generations are present.

Thanks for taking the time to stop and say hello.

M

2 comments:

Sadge said...

I'll write a post in answer to your question about soaker hoses in the garden (it will be easier with photos), as soon as sweet husband brings back the camera from his Boys' Day Out at the races in Sonoma.

noble pig said...

Love the pasta, it sounds fantastic!