Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Banana Bread or The trouble with bananas

I know they look harmless, but those bananas are bossy. At this point in their lives, they have reached an aged status that refuses to take no for an answer. They treat everyone the same, in other words they are bossy and bold to everyone.

How do I know?

There are frequent photos on foodgwaker about the "world best banana bread" or "finally a banana muffin to die for" or "banana cake like you have never had before, it is the best". There are others of course, but I think I have proven my point.

Overripe bananas scream at you! Things like:

Cook with me. Bake with me, and do it now. Take care of me, don't be wasteful. I thought you were frugal, already.

Frankly when they start sounding like somebody's Mother, it is time to do something.

Banana bread use to be my go to recipe. After all with eating machines in the house, it does not matter if they really and truly want banana bread, if banana bread is on the counter; it will be eaten. But now that it is just Honey and me, what to do; what will I do? Personally I get tired of banana bread before the loaf is gone. And yes, I have been told you can freeze banana bread. But I think it dries out, and then not only am I tired of it, it is not really worth eating.

But I have hit upon an idea that may prove successful for others like myself that have fairly jaded opinions about banana bread. Oh and for those that think plain banana bread is, well plain.
Make 3 way banana bread.

Or you could actually call it another name that sounds more involved, like:

3 Sisters banana bread (to honor the 3 sisters mountains in Oregon)
Triple play banana bread (for those baseball fans out there)
Have it your way banana bread (for the TV junkie in your life)

but I think we will stick with...............

3 Way Banana bread

350 degree oven

1 c whole wheat flour
1 c all purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl stirring well to mix, and set aside.

1/3 c oil
1/3 c white sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1/3 c milk
1 c (3 bananas) mashed banana

In a large bowl, beat the eggs add sugars and beat again. Add rest of the ingredients, stir well. Combine the dry ingredients into the wet. Stir just until moistened, do not overmix.

Divide mixture into 3, to each portion add in one of the following. These are just suggestions.

zest of one orange
6 apricot halves, minced
spoon mixture into mini loaf pan, over the top sprinkle
1/4 c slivered almonds


6 maraschino cherries, quartered and drained on toweling
1/4 c chocolate chips
spoon mixture into mini loaf pan, over the top sprinkle
1/4 c chopped walnuts (I used almonds in the above loaf)


2 T dried cranberries
2 T raisins
1/4 c chocolate chips
spoon mixture into mini loaf pan, over the top sprinkle
1/4 c broken pecan pieces (I did not add nuts to this one above)

Or any combination you think your family will like. This is a good time to try something new.

Bake 38 -45 minutes

Let rest in pans 5-10 minutes, then turn out to cool completely.

Makes 3 mini loaves.

Recipe rating:  It's Ok. (tasty but not special)

Thanks for taking the time to stop by,

M

1 comment:

noble pig said...

I am a die hard banana bread fan...love the three way! They all sound delicious.