Friday, April 10, 2009

Granola, with a softer crunch


As luck would have it, yesterday my office was without the internet and company server. It was payroll day with no way to print checks, as the file had not been sent the evening before. Yikes! But all is well that ends well, I drove to the company office and picked up the payroll checks; it is fairly close (30 miles). The system was restored at 4pm, I continued to stay and get the essentials done. And with all that.........

I am glad to be home today! I want to get some things done in the kitchen. As I wander around and through blog neighborhoods I notice things that I want to try or adapt. Maybe that is my favorite part of being a blogger, the inspiration to make new things or simply to keep cooking! Some days are just harder than others to get a good meal on the table.

Today however I want to play in the kitchen. Honey loves biscuits that is why I keep the homemade baking mix in the cupboard. But I ran across a "cinnamon roll muffin" and wanted to play around with making overnight cinnamon roll muffins. We will see how that goes!

I also want to make a batch of granola. I wanted a granola that was a bit different. And by different I mean tooth pleasing. Frequently granola is hard, hard as in not enjoyable to eat. Hard as in breaking the food in your mouth instead of simply chewing and enjoying. Hard as in, pour your milk; go get dressed and make the bed and then come back to eat.

Granola my way
325 degree oven

2 c regular oats
2 c regular oats - pulsed in the food processor
1/2 c regular oats - ground into oat flour

1/4 c flax seeds - ground
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/2 c walnut pieces
1/2 c sliced almonds
1 c coconut

Place the oats into a large bowl, add the seeds and nuts mixing well.

3 T oil
water
1/3 c sugar
1 t vanilla
dash of salt

Add the oil to a measuring cup, add water to make 1/2 of fluid. Combine the water mixture and the sugar, heat to boiling (I used a microwave), stir to dissolve sugar. Add vanilla and salt. Stir again. Evenly pour over oats and stir to combine.

Evenly spread on a jelly roll pan. Bake 20 minutes, stir corners into center and bottom to top. Bake 10 minutes more, again stir as directed. Turn oven off, let sit in oven 20 minutes to finish cooking and dry.

Sprinkle over the top of the finished granola, 1 c dried fruit. I used cranberries and raisins. Stir to combine, and let mixture come to room temperature before packaging up.

Makes about 10 cup.

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

Thanks for taking the time to stop by,

M

2 comments:

Kevin said...

That granola sounds good. Making your own is always fun.

Melynda said...

Thanks Kevin, and it turned out just as I wanted. A nice crunch that is not too hard.