Why do we do the things we do? For instance.......
1. I like dessert as breakfast on Sunday mornings. Oh don't get me wrong, I eat something else to appear grownup but I really want the sweet. Why? I believe it is because my own Mom would make a coffee cake on Sundays. Sundays are laid back and meant to be quiet and enjoyable.
2. I like things put away in the space they belong, when someone is done using it/them. Why? I believe it is because I was the designated mother's assistant and all things needing picked up an put away was my job. I must have sworn to live differently when I was in charge.
3. I usually do not dust. Why? I believe that I never learned the importance of dusting. Our house growing up was a constant state of disarray. I think my Mom used dusting as a last resort before death or company. Honey bless him, is the duster in this house.
4. I like peace and quiet. Why? Our house was very loud and noisy growing up. I always want to retreat when things get loud.
5. I don't like competitive games. Why? Because we are animals and will revert to that behavior style to win or survive. See above for additional information.
6. I can eat one thing for a meal and be happy, such as a plate of buttered rice. Why? I believe it is because there we so many of us and times were tough, sometimes one thing was all there was. I also think that was a great teacher regarding appetite vs hunger. They are not the same.
7. I enjoy an eclectic furnishings style. Why? That was all we had, hand me downs and second hand purchases. But I love the coming together of what you have to make a home.
8. I use to have hair past my buttock, it is short now. Why? I cut my hair because I had developed a repetitive movement injury in my neck, from years of "throwing" my hair out of my way. The real why we do what we do about the long hair is that, we lived in Marin County California in the late 60's and I was fascinated with the hippy women and their long hair and pierced ears. That era developed an ideal in me that long hair was beautiful and free spirited.
9. I do not like oysters. Why? I have a strong association of smell and taste. I do not like the smell, and as it turns out; I don't like the taste. I have tried them.
10. I love sour and bitter. Why? I believe it is my family heritage. My Dad was Swiss German and my Mom was Irish and German. I love kraut, dark beer, pickled foods and rhubarb.
11. I would like to have backyard chickens. Why? We always had animals when I was growing up. A milk goat, chickens and rabbits. My Godparents also had chickens, I use to get to help gather the eggs.
12. I do not drink milk. Why? I could not digest cows milk as a kid. See goat above. Therefore I never drank milk with meals. It is so rare for me to drink a glass of milk, I think the last one was 5 years ago. I do have cereal each morning and do tolerate milk as an adult.
13. I love books. Why? Reading was my only break from caring for younger brothers and sisters. I went to the library each week and got more books to read. I have a hard time parting with a book I have read that carries a message I needed to learn.
14. I like a happy ending. Why? I like when good things happen for and to people. I rarely feel envious, I know that I have been helped to get where I am in this world, and wish for everyone to get that helping hand when they need it. I try to be the helper as well.
15. I love trees. Why? We use to go camping in the Redwood forest when I was a kid. Trees have always been a part of my life from the earliest days. They provide shelter, shade and sustenance.
Only because today is the 15th, no other reason. I was not sure I could come up with 15 things about me, and I am not certain that these are of any real significance. However I think each person that has a blog does so for different reasons. I also think we are interesting to others. It is always fun to get to know someone.
Blogs are an electric version of having a pen pal.
Have a great day, I am off to do my Sunday shift.