Saturday, November 8, 2008

Rose Hip Jelly, an experiment

This was an interesting and fun experiment. I like making something from not much. I think this qualifies.
The first step was to harvest the hips from the roses. I noticed as I was snipping away, that there were not that many. I guessed that I might have the required 2 cups. I have no information about the roses on the side of my home, they were planted by the previous owners. .

I dumped them into a 2 cup measure to see how close I was in my guess. I could of used a few more, but hey; it is an experiment. The blossom end of the hip was snapped off. The hips were washed and the soft and dark part of the blossom end was pared away. Another wash and then ready to be cut.

I chopped the hips, cut 2 apples into large pieces, added 2 1/2 c water and 1/2 c Chardonnay. Brought it to a boil, and then let is simmer 1 hour.

Here is my strained liquid. I looks a lot like chicken stock!

For the jelly,

The strained liquid, it measured 2 1/2 cups
dash of salt
juice of 1/2 lemon
5 c sugar
1 package of pectin

I brought it to a boil, then boiled rapidly for 7 minutes. There was not enough foam on top to worry about, so no skimming was necessary. I ladled it into 5 half pint jars, and put the small amount left over into a small dish to eat up now. Secured the lids and bands and gave it a 10 minute water bath.
I tasted the jelly on the stirring spoon, it is rather tart and nondescript. I hope it improves with age! I would think that the red hips that I have seen picture after picture of would have more flavor. And I also think you would need a lot more hips to simmer in the liquid, so that the strained liquid would be stronger and have more flavor.

And here is the finished batch..........

It looks like honey, just like the recipe stated it would.

M

1 comment:

Sadge said...

I love experimenting. I just have to remember to put my "notes for next time" somewhere near the recipe. Drizzled over pancakes, I bet that jelly will be wonderful.