Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Peppers for Cold Meats, from Auguste Escoffer

Update:  I made this delicious relish many years ago, and had to search on the blog to find it myself. In the following five years I have been blogging I have learned a great deal about how SEO works and how to properly title a recipe so someone may actually find it. This is too delicious to not be enjoyed, especially with gardening season coming and the markets will be filled with lovely produce, including bright red peppers! This is also just about mandatory for those after holiday times when you have a lovely turkey or ham for sandwiches.


Tonight I came home and wanted to cook something and photograph it as well. I had 3 peppers that were in the fruit bowl on the dining room table. I also had read her post on peppers for cold meats. That pretty much sealed the deal. I had peppers to use, a camera to document with and so here goes!

Peppers for Cold Meats
adapted from The Wednesday Chef
makes about 3 pints, refrigerate to store

4 T olive oil (I used about 2 T)
1 medium onion ( I used 1/2 of a large onion and diced it smallish)
1 pound red sweet peppers (my 3 weighed 1 pound)
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t allspice
1/4 t nutmeg
1 pound of tomatoes, blanched diced and drained (I used a 16 oz can well drained)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 c raisins
2/3 c red wine vinegar

Assemble your ingredients.









Soften the diced onion in the olive oil, do not let it brown.

Dice the peppers, add to the onions along with spices. Warm the mixture gently.









Add remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer. Cover and let (barely) simmer 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove lid and simmer 10 - 15 minutes more. That's it. Refrigerate until serving.

The raisins will be plump and the taste of the spices will be a part of each bite.

Because of the high vinegar level, this will keep a long time. My guess is that it will be gone before you know it!

Hope your day was great!

M

3 comments:

Caine said...

Nice Shots

ya ya's mom said...

wow, look at you go with yo new camera!!! go girl!!!

Melynda said...

Thanks guys! I did better than I though I would do. I think I am actually "getting" it!