Friday, September 12, 2008

Country Chicken and Looking back on the week

Well I could comment on what I did not get done (move wood, clean annual beds etc etc) or I could just say it has been quiet. Not too quiet, simply quiet. I like quiet. I live quiet. We generally are a quiet couple. Quiet is comforting. Quiet is our norm. We even have a quiet pet.

That is not to say we are boring, oh maybe by commercial TV standards we are boring. But I would venture to say we are, well actually we are just right; for us. And that is what counts. We each have our moments, and there is an occasional "blue streak" that can be heard; and I must honestly say not just from Him!

Honey has been away all week. That has added to the quiet. It will be good to see him come home tonight. To reestablish our quietness together, and stop being separate. He in one state, I in another. Home together.

I have gotten a few things done besides the daily paying job and mandatory upkeep of the home and care of the pet.

There was the great Food Saver awareness day, and the making of 30 stuffed bell peppers.

I did get some plants replanted in better spots.

I did get the soaker hose rearranged for the new rhubarb and blueberry spots and some watering done.

I did make all my own meals instead of eat out, and instead of using "it is only me, and why cook for one", which has been such a handy excuse in the past.

I did remain ever frugal and use the leftovers and planned overs that were in the fridge and freezer.

I did get the herb garden ring assembled and the chives planted. I have not retrieved a start of Rosemary from the kids yet. I will wait until this weekend, that way we both can see the granddaughter, and say hi to the kids.

I did get the lilac tree branches carried to the wood storage area.

See quiet is OK.

Here is a quiet way to use up some cooked chicken. Actually this is good enough to cook up chicken (thighs are great here) just so you can make this casserole. This also uses the All Purpose Baking Mix.

Sunday Cafe Country Chicken
400 degrees

6 - 8 slices of bacon
1/2 of a small onion

2 c diced cooked chicken
2 c frozen peas and carrots (or just peas if that is what you have)
2 large tomatoes - diced large
1 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese (about 6 oz)
1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1/2 soup can water

1 1/2 c All Purpose Baking Mix
2/3 c milk or water

Dice the bacon, brown in a skillet. Remove the bacon to a drain on a paper towel. Reserve about 1 T of the drippings. Dice the onion, brown in the bacon fat. Set aside to cool.

In the bottom of a 9X13 pan, layer the following: chicken, peas and carrots, diced tomatoes, bacon and 1 c of the cheddar cheese. Combine soup and 1/2 can water, mix well. Pour over ingredients in pan. Bake 15 minutes.

Combine All purpose baking mix and water (or milk, your choice). Drop over casserole in 8 drops or biscuits. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the biscuit dough and then the browned onions.

Bake additional 12 - 15 minutes.

Serves 6 - 8


Enjoy!

M

1 comment:

edbteach said...

Thanks for visiting my blog!

The recipie looks great too.