Monday, June 9, 2008

Potager Gardener's Soup

We (and I use that term loosely, since it is mostly my Honey doing the hard stuff) worked yesterday taking out the rest of the deck and the lower level of concrete pavers. In addition red rock had to be raked and shoveled into buckets and moved to another area. The red rock was deep in some areas, making it clear that the previous owners had replaced it once before. I actually like red rock, my Honey; yeah not so much! He was glad to get rid of the deck if only to get rid of the red rocks! I have been researching Potager gardens on the internet and my book on the subject will arrive within "10 to 14 business days". I am looking forward to a new backyard. Where good things grow, and a sense of accomplishment exists.

I have always thought that gardens should not be ruled by category. Such as: Here is my vegetable garden and over here folks you will find flower gardens. In my own thoughts a garden should be composed of what is worthy of growing (sustains your table) and what is beautiful (florals for beauty and health), and they would share the same space. As the seasons passed, the garden would also change. Going from growth to rest and repeated. A place to putter, enjoy and work.

I also realize there will be another spot where the weeds will win!

In addition there will be a spot where the grandkids can visit and learn and share experiences. There will be a spot where perfectly ripe strawberries can be picked. There will be a spot that is meant for the family, and is a part of the kitchen meals. A spot to simply sit and enjoy.

I invited us over for dinner at the kids house. You can get away with that, when you are the Grammy!

We took salmon to grill, a bottle of chardonnay and roses from the side yard. My son grilled and they added baked potatoes and a salad. There was also sliced watermelon for dessert. Everyone had a nice visit. After dinner, I gave Granddaughter her bath and bed time stories, by request. We all had a nice time. School is ending, summer beginning (soon I hope, still gray today), camping trips to plan, lots of gatherings and Sunday Cafe.

In the spirit of a Potager garden,

Sunday Cafe 1 vegetable soup

1 pound meat of choice
4 qts stock of choice

8-10 of the following:

1 small onion
1 russet potato
1 handful of peas
1 tomato
1 clove garlic
1 ear of corn
1 carrot
1 bunch spinach
1 zucchini
1 stalk celery
1 pepper
1 handful green beans
1 parsnip
1 sweet potato
1 turnip
1 bunch kale
1 yellow crookneck
1 of any other item you have and I forgot

1 large handful of green lentils
1 large handful of barley
1 large handful of brown rice

1 t salt
1 bay leaf
1 t thyme crushed in pestle
fresh pepper

In bottom of large soup kettle, brown meat of choice in small amount of fat. Add stock and choice of vegetables. Add lentils, barley and rice. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer, add seasoning and let simmer covered for 1 hour.

Remove 1 cup of the stock, pour into a flat soup bowl to cool. Add 2 T flour to the cooled stock and mix well to remove all lumps, return flour mixture to soup pot. Bring to a boil and let soup thicken slightly.

Serves 6 - 8 with leftovers

Enjoy!

Recipe rating: Oh Yes! (will make again)
M

2 comments:

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

I agree with your views on Gardens - I like when there is a little bit of everything! Like apparently tomatoes and marigolds help each other grow, and they are good to grow together.

Sounds like you had a nice visit with your family!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

Melynda said...

Thanks, Jenn

I am looking forward to so many things, the blog has been fun.

Melynda