Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Dimpled Kuchen

I have come to enjoy this blog.

It is something I started for me. I like the routine of getting up, bringing my coffee into the home office, and starting the day with another post on Mom's Sunday Cafe. I probably won't on Sunday however.

That is family day. It has always been family day, from the time I was old enough to remember. We had dinner on Sunday, supper all the other days of the week.

Dinner is special. It is served early, approximately 2:00pm. It is a large meal, a small celebration if you will. And always dessert. Sundays in my childhood home were, breakfast, dinner and if you needed a sandwich later. But usually just my Dad ate later. We were still stuffed when bedtime rolled around.

I have always had a desire for something sweet on Sundays. I am sure it is my memories of Sunday dinner. When I married and had a home of my own, I would bake a coffee cake for Sunday morning breakfast, I still do sometimes. But it was not until now that I realized where my desire for something sweet each Sunday morning came from.

I like a casual Sunday, nothing forced or rushed. Food that is enjoyable but not fussy. Let the day unfold, be enjoyed and provide for happy memories.

Soft music, fresh flowers from the yard, soft cloth napkins and food that satisfies the soul and the stomach. That is Sunday dinner.

This will satisfy that morning desire for a little sweet, don't let the length scare you off. It is very easy and can be done in 2 parts, first the yeast batter and then the butter topping the next morning before baking.

Dimpled Kuchen
375F

In a medium size sauce pan:
1 c milk
1/2 c sugar
1/4 c butter
1 t salt

Heat and stir until butter melts, let cool to lukewarm.

In a small measure cup, combine to proof yeast
1/4 c warm water
1 T dry yeast (1 1/2 packages)
1 t sugar

When yeast foams, stir into cooled milk.

In large mixer bowl beat well:
2 eggs
1 c flour

Add:
milk mixture
2 1/3 c flour
1/3 c raisins, plumped in hot water drained well and chopped

alternately add milk mixture and remaining flour, beating well after each addition. Stir in raisins. Pour into a prepared 9X13 pan. Cover and let rise until doubled OR cover and place in fridge until next morning to finish and bake.

10 T butter ( 1 full stick butter and 2 T cut from another stick)
1 1/4 t cinnamon
3/4 c sugar

When dough is ready to bake, cut butter into 1 T sections. Cut each section into 8 pieces. You should have 80 tiny squares of butter. Scatter the butter over the dough. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the butter covered dough.

Bake 35 - 45 minutes or until tests done. Cool in pan 15 minutes before cutting. Cut into 16 pieces.

Serves 8-16

Enjoy!

M

1 comment:

ya ya's mom said...

uh, yummy!!! are you bringing this to camp this weekend?