Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Pickled Franks!

My Father was a hearty eater. He was a tall and big man and it took a lot of food to fill him up! He was adventurous as well, as a family we had interesting things on our table. I was not as adventurous as He, and did not see the value of eating frogs legs or squid or calves brains with scrambled eggs. But the experience taught me the value of seeking out foods to enjoy.

My Mother canned and made jam. She baked bread sometimes, and was a good baker. With 5 children and a hungry husband, she cooked a lot! I believe She wanted to be more creative, yet the amount of food needed to be cooked, took up a lot of time and there was not much left for creativity. But cakes were always frosted and cookies presented on a plate. I came to believe that is how you cook, and that is what you do for your family.

When I married and was new a making a home for my husband and family, I followed the ways that I had been shown. I found that I enjoyed many of the things that my Mother had taught me and I would like to believe that I have passed the best of those on to my children.

This recipe is something my Father would make, leave to "age" and enjoy later. He was a fan of pickled meats and these are tasty as well as, at the ready.

My Dad's garlic pickled franks

1 pkg good quality franks
1 c water
1/2 c vinegar
1 clove garlic, mashed
1 bay leaf

Cut franks diagonally into 2 inch chunks, place in a quart jar, shake lightly to settle the franks into place.

Bring remaining ingredients to a boil, carefully pour over franks, let cool on counter until warm, cover with a lid and set into the fridge to "age".

To serve, remove frank pieces with a wooden spoon and dry gently with a towel. Eat as is or serve with cheese and vegetables as part of a snack tray.

Enjoy!

Recipe rating:  Oh Yes! (will make again)

M

1 comment:

Content Digital said...

I know that I would love this recipe. Nice improvements on your blog, I like the new look and the "to do".