Tuesday, April 22, 2008

April 27, 2008 the start of my Sunday Cafe

It has take a few years to get to the Sunday Cafe. The kids had to grown up, get married, hold jobs, have schedule changes, start families and now here we are at a time in our lives where the Sunday Cafe can open and everyone can come to enjoy. Either one (or more) had to work, or I had to work, or life just had a way of not making it easy for the Sunday Cafe to open.

I like to make a nice meal, set an attractive table, enjoy conversation along the way and maybe even play a family game or two after the meal. The "kids" enjoy time together and sometimes it is more fun for me to step back and observe the interactions as I clean up. I have a fairly small kitchen, so cleaning up solo is no problem. I then just jump in where ever the game/conversation/fun is, going back and forth between joining in, serving dessert or playing with the granddaughter. It is always a happy time.

I must confess however, the first dinner won't be at Mom's Sunday Cafe, we are actually going out to eat! Goofy I know, but I won gift cards at work. That gives me time to plan the May Sunday Cafe menu.

Here is a great cornbread, I made this a couple of days ago to go with a pot of pinto beans and smoked pork.

Sunday Cafe Cornbread - Oven 425 F

1 c cornmeal
1 c flour (spoon lightly into cup, sweep off the top to level)
1/2 c sugar
3 tsp baking power
1/2 tsp salt

Place in a large bowl, stir together until well mixed, make a "well" in the center for the wet ingredients.

1 c milk
1/4 c oil
2 eggs

Place wet ingredients in the "well", whisk the center of the wet ingredients to beat the eggs with the milk and oil. Bring all ingredients together and whisk until no lumps are left.

Pour into a prepared 9X9 inch pan, bake 20 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting.

Enjoy!

M

1 comment:

Content Digital said...

The waffle iron makes for crispy corn bread. Go Mom!